Chocolate Laced: Tailor Made

by - Monday, June 20, 2011


One of my favorite things about traditional Nigerian clothing is that they are (more often than not) tailor made. This guarentees the most flattering fit (depending on your desired style and design). On Saturday, I was part of my aunt and uncle's 25th anniversary celebration in NYC wearing the aso ebi that they picked out. I chose the dress design I wanted after searching online for hours and I showed it to the woman who was going to create it from the material my mom gave her. I knew I would need really high heels to compliment the length of the dress, so my sister bought me these babies from Charlotte Russe:

Stunning black velvet platform stilleto heeled pumps that were a breeze to walk in but a pain to keep on for 6+ hours! I got many compliments form the other aso ebi girls on my height (an added five inches to my already 5'8" and change height) and on my dress which was sweet and simple yet dramatic. I had a great time at the party and I was joined by my Panamanian best friend Desiree of six years who, wholeheartedly, supports and loves my culture and its traditions. She was rocking her African attire from Mali with a wrap skirt (a gift to her from her brother's godmother):

We live 170+ miles apart but our friendship grows stronger every day.

You May Also Like

0 comments